Lake HuronLake Huron is an international body of water, and measuring 206 miles across and 186 miles long, represents the second largest Great Lake by area, and the third largest Great Lake by volume. The lake has a maximum depth of 750 feet, an average depth of 195 feet, and features several bays, inlcuding Tawas and Saginaw Bays - located above the “thumb” of Michigan, Anchor Bay - located near Alpena, MI, and Georgian Bay - located in Ontario, Canada. Lake Huron is inseparable from Lake Michigan through the Straits of Mackinac and drains into Lake Saint Clair and ultimately into Lake Erie through the Saint Clair River. Sailing on these waters is popular and governed by both state and federal authorities (see coast guard info on the right). In addition, commercial freighter traffic and weather conditions need to be carefully considered. The lake hosts one of the longest freshwater sailing races in the world (Port Huron-Mackinac) each July.
Lake RampsAlcona County: 2 Ramps
Alpena County: 3 Ramps
Bay County: 8 Ramps
Cheboygan County: 3 Ramps
Huron County: 7 Ramps
Iosco County: 2 Ramps
Mackinac County: 4 Ramps
Presque Isle County: 4 Ramps
Sanilac County: 3 Ramps
Lake EventsJuly 8-10 2016
July 14-17 2016
July 23-24 2016
See More Events »
Saginaw Bay Yacht Racing Association - According to their bylaws, The purpose of the association is to promote yacht racing, good sportsmanship, and seamanship. The SBYRA consists of skippers and crews who race approved mono-hulls that are twenty (20) feet and over in length and approved multi-hulls of twenty-three (23) feet and over in length or a speed potential of 700 Portsmouth or lower.
Saginaw Bay Community Sailing Association - The purpose of the SBCSA is to provide inexpensive access to the sport of sailing so that everyone can enjoy it. Located in Bay City, this association provides sailing education, outreach and access through their fleet of sailboats and staff of volunteers. This is a good place to start if you are in the Bay City area.
Yacht/Sail clubs with access to Lake Huron - Alpena Yacht Club • Bay City Yacht Club • Bark Shanty Sail Club • Oscoda Yacht Club • Port Huron Yacht Club • Tawas Bay Yacht Club • More Yacht / Sail Clubs
Navigational charts provide information on lake depths, hazards, shipping channels and aids to navigation. Full size charts are required on commercial vessels and others as per USGC regulations. For recreational boaters, the National Oceanographic and Atmoshperic Administration produces this scaled-down, booklet version of these charts. Clicking on the image to the left will allow you to download charts for Lake Huron for home printing. Larger scale, regional charts for Lake Huron are available on the specific county pages above.
Public Ramps and Harbors
Click on the county links above to view public harbors/marinas (location and details) for Lake Huron. Note that some of these may be present on inland lakes which connect to Lake Huron.
The North Channel (Canada) - The Canadian waters in the North Channel of Lake Huron are a popular destination. The channel is boardered by the largest fresh water island in the world: Manitoulin Island. - Our seperate North Channel page for more information.
Commerical Cruising Guides
- Dozier's Waterway Guide 2015 Great Lakes: Plus the Great Loop Route from the Erie Canal to the Gulf Coast (Waterway Guide Great Lakes Edition)
Commerical Marinas (incomplete listing) nominate a business
- Duncan Bay Boat Club - 902 Boat Club Drive - Cheboygan, MI
- Port Austin Marina - 119 E. Spring St. - Port Austin, MI
- Port Sanilac Marina - 7365 Cedar Street, Port Sanilac, MI
- Bark Shanty Marina - 65 South Lake Street, Lower Level, Port Sanilac, MI
- Oldford's Marina - 7400 Huron Ave., Lexington, MI
- Bay Harbor Marina - 5309 E. Wilder Rd - Bay City, MI
- Wheeler Landing Yacht Harbor - 600 Marquette St. - Bay City, MI
- Pier 7 Marina - 963 E. Midland Street - Bay City, MI
- Liberty Harbor Marina (public) - 215 John F. Kennedy, Dr. - Bay City, MI
- Linwood Beach Marina - 135 S. Linwood Beach Rd. - Kawkawlin Twp, MI
Sailboat Dealers (New & Used) nominate a business
Sailing Equipment & Supplies nominate a business
- WindRider One-Design & Trimeran Parts
- West Marine Store - 4128 Wilder Rd., Bay City, MI
- Great Lakes Marine Outfitters - 250 Huron Ave., Port Huron, MI
- White Water Marine - 3755 West Water St., Port Huron, MI
Sail Lofts nominate a business
- Doyle Detroit (Saginaw Bay) - 989.673.7569 - Caro, MI
- Please check other Great Lake listings for lofts near Lake St. Clair, Erie and Michigan.
Sailing Schools and Lessons nominate a business
- For small boat lessons, please contact your closest yacht/sail club.
- Alpena Youth Sailing Club - 989.354.2175, Alpena, MI
- Saginaw Bay Community Sailing - 989.922.7245, Bay City, MI
- Seahawk Sailing School - 586.788.5152, Port Sanilac, MI
Marine Towing, Salvage & Repair nominate a business
TowBoat US - 989.315.1233, Bay City, MI
TowBoat US - 810.334.5217, Port Huron, MI
TowBoat US - 810.622.9651, Port Sanilac, MI
See other Salvage companies for Lake St. Clair
Sailing Charters nominate a business
- Bay Sail - 107 5th St., Bay City, MI
Mackinaw Breeze - (906)-847-8669, Mackinac Island, MI