Lake Saint ClairAlthough not formally catagorized as one of the Great Lakes, Lake Saint Clair is 26 miles long by 24 miles wide, with an area of approximately 430 sq miles. This international lake is bisected by the U.S.-Canada border. Among its larger Great Lake cousins, Lake Saint Clair is the shallowest with a maximal natural depth of 21 feet and an average depth of ~11 feet. A dredged depth of 27 feet can be found in commercial shipping channels. Via the St. Clair River and Detroit Rivers, Lake St. Clair connects to Lake Huron and Lake Erie respectively. Among the lake features frequented by sailors are Anchor Bay (near Harrison Twp., Macomb county) and the islands and channels of the Saint Clair River delta. Through the efforts of the Albatross Yacht Club, The Anchor Bay Yachting Association, and the Detroit Regional Yacht Racing Association (and their affiliated clubs), this lake serves as host to numerous events and weekly racing series. Be sure to check the events calender and visit the organization links below. Sailing Lake Saint Clair should be considered the same as Great Lakes sailing, with all the associated joys and hazards.
Lake RampsMacomb County: 6 Ramps
Saint Clair County: 5 Ramps
Wayne County: 4 Ramps
Lake EventsSeptember 27-28 2014
October 4-5 2014
See More Events »
Albatross Yacht Club - The Albatross Yacht is a sailboat racing club which sails in Anchor Bay of northern Lake Saint Clair. They sponsor weekly and invitational large-boat race series in conjuction with the Anchor Bay Yachting Association.
Anchor Bay Yachting Association - The ABYA is a non-profit association of 30 area yacht/boat clubs and coordinates competition, social, and public service and educational events on Lake Saint Clair.
Detroit Regional Yacht-Racing Association - The DRYA is a non-profit affiliation of 27 area U.S. and Canadian yacht/sail clubs and associations which promotes and organizes competitive sailing events, public education and communication among its member clubs.
North Star Sail Club - Located near the mouth of the Clinton River in Harrison Township, Michigan, North Star Sail Club has served the interests of 'Sailors of modest means' since 1946. The club currently has nearly 300 active members from throughout the Detroit area and greater Michigan.
Navigational charts provide information on lake depths, hazards, shipping channels and aids to navigation. Full size charts are required on commercial vessels and others as per USGC regulations. For recreational boaters, the National Oceanographic and Atmoshperic Administration produces this scaled-down, booklet version of these charts. Clicking on the image to the left will allow you to download charts for Lake Saint Clair for home printing.
Commercial Cruising Guides
Public Ramps and Harbors
- Click on the county links above to view public harbors/marinas (location and details) for Lake Saint Clair.
Commerical Marinas (incomplete listing) nominate a business
- Algonac Harbour Club - 1999 Pte. Tremble Rd., Algonac, MI
- Deckers Landing Marina - 9081 Anchor Bay Dr., Algonac, MI
- Harbor Heights Marina - 49028 Jefferson Ave, Chesterfield, MI
- Bouvier Bridge Marina - 7838 Dixie Highway, Fair Haven, MI
- Compass Pointe Marina - 8709 Dixie Highway, Fair Haven, MI
- Terrys Marina - 8155 Waterworks Dr., Fair Haven, MI
- Harrison Marine - 32575 South River Rd, Harrison, Twp, MI
- Markley Marine - 31300 North River Road, Harrison Twp, MI
- MacRay Harbor - 30675 North River Road, Harrison Twp, MI
- Emerald City Harbor - 24200 Jefferson Ave, Saint Clair Shores, MI
- Miller Marina - 24770 East Jefferson Ave., Saint Clair Shores, MI
- Harbor Nine Marina - 24030 Jefferson Ave, Saint Clair Shores, MI
Sailing Charters nominate a business
- Scrimshaw Sailing Charters - Waterford, MI - 313.580.3369
- Fairwind Sailing - Bingham Farms, MI - 248.563.5413
- Sail Time - Detroit, MI - 586.838.8714
Sailboat Dealers (New and Used) nominate a business
Sailing Equipment and Supplies nominate a business
West Marine Stores
- 30060 S. River Rd., Harrison Township, MI
- 25050 Jefferson Ave., Saint Clair Shores, MI
- 10610 Telegraph Rd., Taylor, MI
- 789 E. Big Beaver Rd., Troy, M
- 2212 E. 14 Mile Rd., Warren, MI
- Mike's Marine Supply - 24910 Jefferson, Saint Clair Shores, MI
- TheYachtsman.com - Online - Based in Harrison Twp.
Sail Lofts nominate a business
- Kent Sail Co. - Harrison Township, MI - 586.791.2580
- Doyle Detroit - 24227 Sorrentino Court, Clinton Twp., MI - 586.790.7500
- See other great lake pages for additional lofts
Sailing Schools and Lessons nominate a business
- For small boat lessons, please contact your closest yacht/sail club.
- American Sailing Institute - Oakland Co. & St. Clair Shores - 248.393.4284
- Fair Winds Sailing School - Harrison Township - 866.380.7245
- Lake Saint Clair Sailing School - Saint Clair Shores - 586.722.5475
- See our sailing schools page for a statewide listing
Marine Salvage & Repair nominate a business
- Boat Town Fiberglass - Harrison Twp., 586.463.2398
- G.W. Snider, Inc - Harrison Twp., 586.468.6661
- Michigan Marine Salvage, Inc.- Harrison Twp., 586.468.2430 (VHF Chan 19)
- Marine One Towing - Saint Clair Shores, 586.447.018
- St. Clair Marine Salvage and Services - Harrison Twp., 586.783.2073
- Custom Enterprises Mobile Repair - Detroit, MI, 313.822.8585
Boat Transport Services nominate a business
- Blue Lagoon Marina - Harrison Twp., 586.463.1020
Custom Services Inc. - Detroit, MI, 313.822.8585